Thursday, December 13, 2012

Whee, I got tagged! Awesome YA/MG writer Veronica Bartles tagged me for The Next Big Thing.
 
I'm in the mood to talk about my newest WIP (a hopefully funny, kind-of-adventure MG), so here you go...

What is the working title of your book?

Knitting Sweaters for Dogs.  (Yes, seriously. Yes, I know I suck at titles. Yes, I will think of a better one later - like when I have a complete first draft.)


Where did the idea come from for your book?

At the SCBWI Midsouth Fall Conference this year, keynote speaker Dan Yaccarino offered some of the simplest, most helpful advice about choosing what to write: "Write what you're interested in." As I sat in my uncomfortable conference room chair, I realized I already do this. I loved being in plays as a kid (and still love theater), so Ex-Drama Queen.  I love figure skating, so Don't Fall Down.
 
What else am I interested in?  Travel, especially road-trip-style travel. Last year, I happened upon a ton of travel blogs written by families who live full-time in an RV. I was fascinated.  How do they do school? What about mail? How do they pay bills? How do they not kill each other living in a space smaller than a NYC apartment?  And Knitting Sweaters for Dogs was born.  (*cue heavenly music*)


What genre does your book fall under?

MG Contemporary, with some humor and a bit of adventure tossed in.


Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Um. Huh. No idea. Let me think...

Maya (MC) - a young Candace Cameron (yes, I'm dating myself here)

Bug (Maya's little sis) - a really young Alyson Hannigan

Adalie - a young Emma Stone

Mom - not a clue.  This is really hard!

Dad - an older Ashton Kutcher
 
Yeah, I didn't do so well with that question. 

 
What is the one sentence synopsis of your book?

12 year old Maya's parents move the family into an RV to travel the country - and then go missing.


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I love this question. It makes finding an agent sound so simple.  HAHA. But yes, am hoping for an agent.


How long did it take for you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Erm...it's not finished yet. I got to the halfway point during NaNoWriMo.  Plan on digging in again in January.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

See the answer to "Where did the idea come from for your book?"


What else about your book might pique a reader's interest?

It's funny, I hope! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment